Star Titan Scalers – Repairs You Can Do In-House
The Most Common Failure of the Star Titan Scaler is the Rotor – and this is a Repair you can make In House – Without any Special Tools or Equipment.
If the Rotor Fails, the Star Titan Scaler emits a Low Pitch “Burbling” Sound and Power Reduces Dramatically. To Replace the Rotor:
- Remove the Tip From The Star Titan Scaler.
- Then Remove the Scaler from the Air Supply.
- Remove the Nose. Hand Strength Should be Sufficient to Remove the Nose, Turning it in a Counter-Clockwise Direction, Unscrew the Nose & Remove By Hand. Place the Nose In The Ultrasonic Cleaner
- The Metal Tube that is now Left Exposed is the Spindle. Using your Fingers, Remove the 2 Large Spindle O-rings from the Front of the Scaler Spindle & discard. (All O-rings should be replaced).
- Remove the Main Housing. The Main Housing is The Part Closest To the Exposed Spindle. Hand Strength Should be Sufficient to Remove the Main Housing. Place the Main Housing into the Ultrasonic as well.
- Looking Towards the Base of the Main Spindle, you will now see the Rotor Surrounded by Quad Rings. (There are Two Main Variations of the Rotor Area of the Spindle. One has 4 Quad Rings and the other has 2 Quad Rings. Make a note as to your configuration.
- Slide the Top Quad Rings Up (Towards the Front of the Spindle) and Off.
- Slide the Rotor Off.
- Remove the Remaining Quad Rings. Discard the Quad rings and Rotor. These are Mandatory Replacement Parts.
- Wipe the Spindle Down with a 2 x 2 Prep Pad.
- Open your Rebuild Kit. Depending on your Configuration, Place 1 or 2 Quad Rings Over the Spindle and Slide them into the Quad Ring Grooves at the Base of the Spindle.
- Slide the New Rotor Onto the Spindle
- Slide he Remaining Quad Rings (also Placed into the Quad Ring Grooves).
- Remove the Parts from the Ultrasonic Cleaner; Rinse them well and Dry Thoroughly. Use the Air from your Syringe to Dry the Interior of the Components.
- Place a Drop of Oil onto the Threads to Ease Installation, and then Screw the Main Housing Back onto the Base Until Hand Tight.
- Place the 2 front Spindle O-rings over the Exposed Spindle and Slide until they are Resting Against the Main Housing.
- Install Nose. Slide the Nose Over the Exposed Main Spindle then Screw the Nose in a Clockwise Direction Until Hand Tight.
Your Star Titan Scaler is now ready to go back to work for you. If Power is Inadequate after Replacing the Rotor, Disassemble Again, Slide the Rotor Off and Reverse it.