There are many causes of tooth loss among adults today. They vary from tooth decay, injury, and periodontal disease among others. Whatever the cause of your tooth loss was, you will agree that the impact is immediately felt in your life.
Impact of Tooth Loss
Your beautiful smile will be no more and your self-esteem will take a beating. What’s more, you will not be able to enjoy some of your favorite meals and this can affect your nutritional intake. According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), missing teeth expose the jaw bone, leading to deterioration which can precipitate further oral problems.
The Ultimate Tooth Loss Remedy
To avert all these complications, dental implants are highly recommended. A titanium post is surgically fixed in the jaw bone to form a permanent support for a replacement tooth. This dentistry procedure is highly popular in the dentistry circles for various reasons including:
- Natural looking teeth – The procedure offers the most natural solution
- Regain your beautiful smile and natural face shape
- Ability to regain full chewing power
- Prevention of further bone loss
- Fast and more effective alternative to dentures
Pre and Post-Treatment Care Tips
While the success rate of this treatment is over 98%, it is important to learn how to care for your implant. Below are some tips to follow to ensure the restoration lasts longer and to avoid any complications:
- Pre-treatment care – Make sure you maintain perfect oral health for both the empty socket and adjacent teeth. This avoids infection which would affect the effectiveness of the treatment. Aspirin-containing drugs should be discontinued 7 days before the surgery. Avoid smoking and alcohol, which can lead to inflammation or infection of the area the procedure will affect.
- Post-treatment care – After the cosmetic dental implants procedure, avoid hard and sticky foods as this can lead to tissue damage. It is also advisable to use an icepack on your cheeks to bring down any swelling. Your dentist will also provide pain killers to deal with discomfort. It is also recommendable to start using mouthwash in place of a toothbrush to avoid damaging the surgery area. You should also avoid smoking to reduce chances of infection.
There are many reasons to opt for dental implants. They are permanent and you get a natural appearance without much effort. This is a safe medical procedure offered by qualified and certified dentists and there are minimal risks involved. With proper before and after care, you are guaranteed of better results from this tooth loss solution.