10 Cautions Before You Use Crest Whitestrips
Do you want to buy a Crest teeth whitening system? Read these cautions first before you use any Crest products.
- Crest Whitestrips will only Whiten Natural Teeth. It will not whiten caps, crowns, veneers, fillings or dentures.
- Crest Whitestrips are not intended for use in children under the age of 12 (under age 18 for Crest Whitestrips Supreme). The pulp chamber, or nerve of the tooth, is enlarged until this age. Whitening procedures could irritate the pulp or cause it to become sensitive.
- The bleaching effect works best on yellow stains. If your stains are due to tetracycline (an antibiotic) grey stains in a band on your teeth, the strips may not work well for you. Your best bet is to have a dentist whiten your teeth in the office for two sessions and then use White Strips to continue the bleaching process.
- The strips only cover your front teeth, so only your front teeth will bleach. But it is not big deal since most people notice the front 6 teeth anyway. It is not recommended to use Crest Whitestrips on back teeth. The strips provided for your upper and lower teeth are designed to fit the front teeth only. Using the strips on the back teeth may result in the strips coming loose and eventually falling off during the wear period.
- Do not use Crest Whitestrips that have passed its expiration date. Although they are still safe, the whitening ingredient’s efficacy will be weakened. So, check the expiration date noted in the packaging before you buy and make sure you will have finished the treatment before that.
- Do not use on loose teeth or temporary or loose restorations.
- Do not use with dental braces. Braces will cover some areas of tooth surface while Crest Whitestrips will whiten only the portion of the teeth with which the whitening gel comes in contact. So you may get unevenly colored teeth when the braces are removed. Moreover, metal in the braces could oxidize and change color.
- If you have dental work or staining from medication, ask your dentist to determine if whitening is appropriate.
- Do not cut the Whitestrips into smaller pieces. If cut into smaller pieces, the strips could dislodge from the teeth and have the potential to become aspirated.
- Some people may experience tooth sensitivity or gum irritation when using teeth whitening systems. This is temporary and not harmful.