Backache is a pain in the back caused by degenerative changes,swelling, injury or in some cases, cancer.Usually the pain on the lower part of the back worsens when a person bends forward or backward.The muscles of the back may become weak and tender. Backache due to age-related changes may radiate to the legs due to pressure on the spinal nerves.
Backache and back pain is now a common symptom among modern societies.It affects mainly the middle aged and young adults of both sexes.People working in the offices,those without exercise and those who carry heavy loads regularly are prone to back pains.We can hardly find a person who has not suffered from back pain at least once in their lifetime.The causes of lower back pain ranges from muscular strain to cancer of the spine and hence a backache should not be ignored.The pain is felt in the lumbar and sacral regions and may radiate to nearby sites.The following are several causes of backache.
1.Backache due to Injuries
– Compression fracture of the vertebral column.
– Rupture of intervertebral discs.
– Injuries to ligaments and muscles of back.
– Lumbosacral strain.
– Intervertebral joint injuries.
– Fracture of processes of vertebra.
2.Backache due to Imbalance
– During pregnancy.
– Pot belly.
– Diseases of the hip joint.
– Curvature in the spine due to congenital defect.
– Short leg in one side.
3.Backache due to Inflammatory Conditions
– Infection of the bone due to bacteria.
– Tuberculosis of the spine.
– Lumbago or fibrositis.
– Inflamation of the muscles.
– Anchylosing spondylitis.
4.Backache due to Degenerative Diseases in the Back
– Osteoporosis in old people.
– Degenaration of the intervertebral disc.
5.Tumour in the Spine
– Primory tumour of the bones in the spine.
– Metastatic tumours from other sites like prostate,lungs,kidneys,intestine ect.
6.Backache due to Gynaecological Problems
– After childbirth.
– After gynaecological operations.
– Prolapse of the uterus.
– Pelvic inflammatory diseases.
– Cancerous lesions of the pelvic organs.
7.Backache due to Problems in Other Parts of the Body
– Renal stones.
– Ureteric stone.
– Cancer of prostate.
– Biliary stones.
– Peptic ulcer.
– Inflammations of pelvic organs.
– Occlusion of aorta and illiac arteries.
Investigations and Tests For Backache
1.Complete blood count.
2.Routine urine examination.
3.Ultrasonography of the abdomen and pelvis.
4.X-ray of the lumbar and sacral region.
5.MRI of the spine.
5.CT scan of abdomen and pelvic region.
6.Examination of rectum,prostate,genito urinary organs.
Treatments For Backache
3.Removing the cause for backache.