Leg pain may be defined as pain in knees, foot or anywhere in legs. It is a common problem with many. It can affect all age-groups. It originates primarily from inflammatory conditions of joints, muscles, bones, skin, ligaments, tendons, blood vessels and nerves. Since legs help in locomotion, leg pain may impede daily functioning of life. Sometimes low back pain radiates down to legs. It may be sharp, dull or heavy. Also burning sensation, tingling, numbness, warmth, swelling etc may accompany leg pain. At times certain areas of legs respond with pain when touched. The causes of pain in legs may be listed as follows:
1. Ligament or muscle strain
4. Bone infections
5. Weakening of muscles
6. Bleeding into tissues and joints
7. Skin inflammation in legs due to factors like shingles, staphylococcus attack or fluid
collection in tissues underneath skin.
8. Involuntary muscular contraction
9. Nerve damage
10. Nerve inflammation
11. Abnormal growth of tissues
12. Lump formation due to clotting of blood in blood vessels.
13. Poor blood circulation in legs
16. Standing for prolonged periods
17. General weakness of body
19. Over-doses of certain medicines
20. Illnesses like diabetes, cancer etc.
Other factors contributing to pain in legs are alcoholism, vitamin deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, obesity, pregnancy, lack of water, poor diet, low cholesterol etc
Home Remedies for Leg Pain
1. Eat 4-5 walnuts in empty stomach early in the morning to get relief from pain.
2. Wrap a red flannel around the painful region. This reduces pain in legs.
3. Application of steam bath to your legs once a week is a very helpful remedy.
4. Mix 10-15 grams of camphor in to 200-250 grams of mustard oil and keep in the sun until camphor dissolves completely. Massage aching legs with the oil to get relief.
5. Tie a cloth soaked in vinegar around leg. This lessens pain.
6. Immerse your legs in a tub of warm water containing Epsom salt. This is a useful pain relief remedy.
7. Rub ice cubes on legs to soothe over-exerted muscles.
8. Apply hot pads on legs to get rid of pain.
9. Eat hard shell nuts to minimize pain.
10. Use of coconut relieves pain in legs.
11. Dissolve 2-3 teaspoons of fenugreek powder in glassful water and drink in the morning. This is a useful leg pain cure.
12. Boil 1 teaspoon saffron in half cup water. Strain and drink the solution thrice a day to get cured of leg pain.
13. Take 1 teaspoon cod liver oil to lessen leg pain.